Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:39:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        Russ Kolacek <rpk129@Psu.Edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows Apps.

> Will most MS Windows 95 apps run on FreeBSD?

No.
FreeBSD has a whole different universe of applications.

HOW TO SEE WHAT FREE-BSD APPS AVAILABLE:
Look at:  http://www.FreeBSD.org/
Then click on "Applications" in the yellow menu-bar near the top.
The next page (http://freeBSD.org/ports/index.html) describes something
called "FreeBSD Ports" which are applications made specifically to run on
FreeBSD.
  Scroll down that page, and you will see many links for categories,
such as:
  Archivers
  Astro
  Audio
  .
  .
  .
  etc.
  .
  .
  X11-wm
Click on each category to see the names of these 'ports' and descriptions
of what they do. About 99% of these 'ports' are available for free,
including source code.

YOUR NEXT STEP...
  I recommend that you buy and read the book: "The Complete FreeBSD"
by Greg Lehey. ISBN 1-57176-227-2.  It is available from bookstores
and also on the net from "http://www.cdrom.com".
  From your question it seems that you are completely new to FreeBSD.
So was I a few months ago.
  I found Mr Lehey's book very valuable.