Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 18:30:55 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

>I take it that you mean flat vs hierarchial.  How about both :-) ::
>mount -t devfs -o flat /dev
>mount -t devfs -o hier /dev

Programs should use canonical names so the user can't decide everything
here.

>I personally have always prefered the flat scheme of /dev (with possible
>exceptions for /dev/fd/*).  This is a religious issue, I have spoken my
>religion.

I like it fairly flat.  There certainly shouldn't be subdirectories for
pieces of one device.

>> The naming is not implimented yet because it would be the
>> responsibility of the SLICE code to do the naming.. the DEVFS doesn't care..
>> it just shows what it's told to show by the device driver (or the slice
>> code in this case).

/dev/driver_name/all_devices_handled_by_this_drive_in_one_directory  is
easiest for drivers, but not quite what is wanted by programs.  How
should ps find and name tty devices?  There aren't enough letters for a
2 letter namespace.

Bruce