Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 10:35:52 +1300
From:      "Geoff Lawn" <lawngf@ihug.co.nz>
To:        "Mike Silbersack" <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unknown transient service 1528/tcp

Hi Mike,

> Were you nmapping the machine nmap was running on?  You sometimes catch
> the port nmap is running the scan from when doing it that way, if I recall
> correctly.

Yes, I was running "nmap localhost".

I did a sockstat while nmap was running, and it looks like nmap choses a
random
port to use for each sequential port test. So I guess it's possible nmap
chose a
random port to use to test the same port number, and thus saw the port as
being
open!

Thanks for your help,
Geoff