Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:56:14 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.4-RELEASE libcrypto.so.[12] confusion/problem...

Imagine this:
	install 4.4-RELEASE
	install 3rd party software compiled on 4.x
	observe the lack of libcrypto.so.1

Now, the fix, as it transpires, is to install the "compat4x"
distribution, but I'd be damned if that sounds even remotely logical
to me and it is certainly not the first thing I would even think
about as a "normal user" [tm].

Also, I'm not sure that installing compat4x on a 4.4 system wouldn't
get me an indesirable libc anyway...

I think that libcrypto.so.1 (and any other down-rev'ed libraries) from
the -stable branch should be automatically installed on 4.x...