Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 95 15:29 MEZ
From:      me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com (Michael Elbel)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: backspace now broken (proposal)

In pcs.freebsd.current you write:

> I don't think CERASE should change, only the default erase character
> for the console.  Changing it centrally would annoy anyone who logs
> in from somewhere else end depends on the current default.

You mean we should make things difficult for people using their PC
directly because *some* people trying to access machines remotely
might not find their used environment? Great, I'd like to have
CERASE be set to 0153 because that's what my fuzznuts-3.45 work-
station generates and I log into my FreeBSD box from there every
now and then.

Sorry, but this is as if a car manufacturer would keep putting
clutch pedals into their cars with automatic transmission because
someone used to drive stick-shift might miss it.

No, Sir, consistency in the native environment, please. Anybody
accessing *any* machine remotely from a different type of system
has to take into account that certain defaults might be different.
I could have argued that I'd like CERASE to be 010 even if the
Backspace key generated 0177 because I use this NCD X-Terminal
that has a BS in the default location per default.

Michael--
Michael Elbel, Digital-PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)