Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:30:37 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        mi@aldan.algebra.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk sys.mk

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 03:18:27PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > This  means, the  released binaries  will  never be  compiled with  this
> > optimizations (since  they are  expected to  run on  all architectures).
> > And  that  means, people  doing  benchmarks  of  the  "out of  the  box"
> > installations, will find FreeBSD slower for "secure web-hosting".
>=20
> That's right.  Until we stop supporting the 386 we have to provide
> 386-compatible binaries.

Given that GENERIC on -current doesn't support the 80386 anymore, it
seems to me that we should probably be able to build releases with:

MACHINE_CPU=3Di386 i486

If there's demand someone could create an 80386 release, but I suspect
most people doing actual work on those are embeded system people who
build their own worlds and thus are quite capable of setting MACHINE_CPU
correctly.  Obviously, we will have to ship 80386 compatable binaries
for the entire life of the 4.x branch.

-- Brooks

P.S. Before you run off and start screaming about the lack if 80386
support in GENERIC since this is the first time you've heard of it,
please, please, please read the relevent archives for -current, -hacker,
-arch, and -smp.  Yes, that's a lot to read, but a lot of ground has
been covered and there are solid reasons for this change.

--=20

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--