Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 2020 20:29:39 -0700
From:      Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>
To:        "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "current@FreeBSD.org" <current@freebsd.org>, net <net@freebsd.org>,  freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: routed && route6d removal proposal

Sounds good to me.  We don't need a RIP daemon in base, and if needed,
it is just a pkg install away via one of the myrriad maintained
routing daemons.

Thanks,
Conrad

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 4:06 PM Alexander V. Chernikov
<melifaro@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I would like to propose removal of  sbin/routed and usr.sbin/route6d.
>
> routed(8) is the daemon implementing RIPv2 routing protocol.
> route6d(8) is the daemon implementing RIPng routing protocol for IPv6.
>
> RIP [1] was one of the first  protocols used in the networking. The first=
 version was implemented back in 1982.

> 1. Network landscape has changed since then. BGP, OSPF, IS-ISIS and other=
 routing protocols have been created and greatly improved over years. Peopl=
e have created and adopted numerous designs leveraging OSPF/ISIS or BGP.
> RIP became obsolete a while ago as there were no competitive advantage it=
 can offer.
> "It is the oldest routing protocol used by the network industry and is co=
nsidered by many to be inefficient or border-line obsolete." =E2=80=94 [2],=
 2009
> "Today, the only reason you might run across a network running RIPv2 is e=
ither that the network is very old and in serious need of an upgrade or the=
 network is running cheaper, consumer-grade routing hardware that can only =
support RIP" =E2=80=94 [3], 2016.

> 1.1. Nowadays the daemon name is simply misleading. Given situation descr=
ibed above, one does expect far wider functionality from the program named =
"route[6]d" than just  RIP implementation.

> 2. Multiple routing stacks supporting all major routing protocol includin=
g RIP exists these days: bird, frr, quagga. Many BGP-only designs in are ga=
ining popularity, so do bgp speakers such as exabgp or gobgp.  Nowadays, if=
 one needs dynamic routing on the host, OSPF or BGP speaker is the choice. =
FreeBSD packages contains well-maintained ports for these. Having RIP[ng] s=
peakers in base offers no advantage.

> 3. Both routed/route6d are largely unmaintained [4] and presents an addit=
ional attack vector. Here is the list of last non-trivial commits to routed=
/route6d:

> sbin/routed:
> r327276 - coverity
> r317035 - rtsock fix
> r299825 - coverity
> r299822 - coverity, from netbsd
> r299821 - coverity, from netbsd
> r299784 - coverity, from netbsd
> r299771 - coverify, from netbsd
> r286347 - bugfix
> r276602 - SA14:21 patch
> r271919 - SA14:21 fix
> r215702 - logic fix, 2010
>
> usr.sbin/route6d:
> r337500 - functional fix, 2018
> r317035 - rtsock fix
> r311994 - coverity
> r311985 - coverity
> r299869 - coverity
> r299491 - coverity
> r270234 - link-local fix
> r243233 - functionality improvement, 2012
>
> To summarise: RIP protocol is obsolete, implementations for newer protoco=
ls exists in ports,  implementation in base  is unmaintained.

> With all that in mind I propose to remove routed and route6d from base in=
 FreeBSD 13.
> Timeline:
> June 5 - feedback aggregation and decision point
> July 19 - removal (proposed)
>

> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing_Information_Protocol
> [2] https://www.globalknowledge.com/ca-en/resources/resource-library/arti=
cles/basics-of-understanding-rip/