Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:31:30 -0700
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   JRE-1.1.8 Keeps Crashing

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE on a Compaq Proliant 2500 server
in a production environment where I work.

One of the many uses of this server is to do network monitoring and ale=
rt
notification using The Big Brother Systems and Network Monitor:

http://bb4.com

We have a large number of WINNT and W2K servers and over ten IBM
AS/400 servers that we monitor with Big Brother.

In order to effectively have Big Brother monitor our AS/400's, I had to=

install
JRE-1.1.8 and use the BB Java Monitoring Agent to pull performance
information
from our AS/400's:

http://www.deadcat.net/   (see bbas400_1_3.zip entry)

Using JRE-1.1.8 in conjunction with the as400 monitoring agent has prov=
en
to be very useful but from time to time, the java daemon just dies
unexpectedly
and causes Big Brother to generate tons of alert emails to members of o=
ur
support staff.

I've searched and searched and can't locate any logs that would show wh=
the java daemon just quits like this.

Restarting JRE seems to fix things and the daemon will run for two to t=
hree
weeks
before it dies again.

I've followed all the steps outlined here:

http://www.freebsd.org/java/howhelp.html#BUG

..in order to figure this out and have run out of options.

Can anybody please help me solve the mystery?

Thanks

Joe

 Joe Warner | Operations Technical Analyst II | Siemens Health Services=

 215 N. Admiral Byrd Road | Salt Lake City, UT 84116=A0 | Ph: 801-539-4=
978 |
                  Fax: 801-533-8004 | Joe.Warner@smed.com
=

Health Services Corporation and are intended only for the addressee(s).
otherwise confidential information.  Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing,
be unlawful.  If you received this message in error, or have reason to believe
notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to CSOffice@smed.com.  Thank you