Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 17:39:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/6774: bind(3)/libc improvement

>Number:         6774
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       bind(3)/libc improvement
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	Any FreeBSD 2.x system.

	Many programs bind to "wildcard" addresses for the purposes of
getting a local IP address/port assigment.  This works fine when a
machine has a single interface, but for machines with multiple physical
or logical (alias) interfaces this is not always appropriate.  For
instance, on a machine with 10 aliases the "telnet" service, as managed
by inetd(8) will respond to all 10 addresses.

	What I propose is an enviornment variable, "LOCAL_BIND" which
would be used by the bind(3) code.  If this does not exist, the
traditional behavior would occur.  On the other hand, if it was set to
an IP address on the local system a "bind" call to the wildcard address
would go to that address, and that address only.  A further extension
would be to have a list of acceptable addresses.

	This would allow things like an outbound telnet connection
from a particular address forced by the user, or having a program like
inetd listen only to some addresses without chaning the code of these
user applications.

>How-To-Repeat:

	N/A

>Fix: