Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:17:04 -0500
From:      "Matt LaPlante" <cyberdog3k@gmail.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Rob <bitabyss@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

On Dec 17, 2007 4:03 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> [...]

They're also going to actually *look* at the configuration and tailor
it.  What kind of fool goes to the trouble of building his own
software without also customizing the configuration to his
specifications?

> IF the switches DISABLED the "lax" behavior, and the defaults in the config
> templates were to not have the switches triggered, then it would meet the
> definition of a forgiving server implementation.  But it doesen't even
> go that far.
>
> > So, this meets both criteria that it will "just work" with clients
> > now, and the clients themselves could theoretically (good luck with
> > Outlook) fix their code in the future.
>
> Outlook works just fine in IMAP mode with uw-imap, both regular Outlook
> and Outlook Express.

I never said it doesn't.  Dovecot works fine with Outlook and Outlook
Express too (both IMAP and POP3).  Imagine that, IMAP servers that
successfully service IMAP clients.

> [...]
> companies, and people like the Dovecot author, inside the Open Source
> community, would enjoy seeing the software market polarized like this.
> The newest version of the GNU license has this viewpoint, for example,
> and I daresay it's driven by Linux popularity.  You see, Linux distros
> have gotten popular enough that some of that community feel they don't
> need to consider what the commercial software people are doing anymore.
> To hell with them, let them eat software bugs, is the attitude.
>
> FORTUNATELY, so far the BSD people have kept their cooler heads and
> haven't adopted this attitude.  They have adopted the attitude that
> I discussed at length in Chapter 10 of my FreeBSD book in the section
> on the Microsoft Anti-trust trial.  In short, FreeBSD is better than
> Windows because it's technically superior, and it's going to win
> in the market because it's technically superior.  By contrast, Microsoft
> has the image that they are a big greedy company that is more interested
> in making a lot of money than winning based on technical superiority.
> Ergo, their stuff is not very good.
>
> Immediately after the MS Anti-Trust trial, of course, everyone
> thought that the FreeBSD way was naieve, believing that since MS
> was acquitted that the MS way was inevitable, as underhanded as
> it was.
>
> But then an interesting thing happened.  MS figured out about 6-12 months
> after winning the trial, that they had effectively won the battle but
> lost the war.  Looking back it's easy now to see that the huge increase
> in Linux penetration of the market dated from the time of the ending
> of the trial.  What was going on is that while Microsoft was still
> growing in sales, they were not growing as fast as the market, and were
> losing market share.  That is why MS eased Bill Gates out of the
> spotlight, it is why they refocused and actually came out with a
> server product - server 2003 - that really was superior to server 2000,
> instead of the way it was before where server 2000 really wasn't much
> better than NT4.  It is why MS has not filed any kind of legal
> proceedings against Linux even while claiming Linux infringes their
> intellectual property - they know that such claims will continue to
> be regarded as typical salesman bullshit as long as their lawyers don't
> actually do anything to back them up.
>
> In summary, MS realized that if you play in the market using dirty
> tricks then eventually you destroy your credibility - and once that
> happens, the only people who will buy anything from you are the
> people who are being forced to - and they will hate doing it, and
> will constantly be looking for a way to cut you out of the picture,
> and eventually they will find it and you will be cut out of the
> markets one little snip at a time.
>
> It is a lesson that most in the FreeBSD community have learned.  It
> is one that the author of Dovecot obviously has not learned and that

You use a lot of words to say very little.  So much ranting about
intent and philosophy, and very little argument of technical merit.  I
don't care if the author plans to take over the world; his software
works well.  If you want to impress me with your opinions, give
specific technical examples (statistics, bugs) demonstrating why one
application is functionally superior to another.