Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:52:52 -0500
From:      Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
To:        Mikel King <mikel.king@olivent.com>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: static ip address and ifconfig

Mikel King wrote:
 > Well generally DHCP and static are mutually exclusive on the same
 > interface. Also bear in mind that DHCP is more comprehensive than a
 > simple address assignment system. In addition a static reservation is
 > not the same thing as a static IP address assignment on an interface.
 > They are similar but different.
 >
 > A DHCP assignment will bind one address to a MAC as well as configure
 > address resolution, routing et cettera… Whereas a static IP assignment
 > must be configured manually by you the human and not the ISP. Your ISP
 > can route a block of addresses to you via a CPE like a DSL modem or
 > router but you have to configure your equipment to consume the traffic
 > passed on by that device.
 >
 > For instance my cable provider's modem boots DHCP, as does the router
 > that they configure via DHCP net boot so that it may receive the block
 > of static IP addresses assigned to my account. The router itself
 > consumes the first usable address as delivered by the ISP. I am free to
 > assign the remain 5 addresses to any device be-it a firewall or server
 > at my discretion and connect it to the LAN side of this router. The
 > following is sort of what these static assignment will look like on this
 > server.
 >
 > xl1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 > ether 00:17:02:d3:84:6f
 > inet 75.99.82.91 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 75.99.82.95
 > inet 75.99.82.93 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 75.99.82.95
 > inet 75.99.82.92 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 75.99.82.95
 > media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
 > status: active
 >
 > Regards,
 > Mikel King
 > Senior Editor, BSD News
 > http://bsdnews.net

Your talking in general terms which does not help me, I need details.
You said above "Whereas a static IP assignment must be configured
manually by you the human and not the ISP."

I tried to show this human manual configuration in my above post.
What are you purposing as human manual configuration?
I need syntax of commands used in response to my above post.