Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 18:39:48 -0800
From:      "Freeman P. Pascal IV" <pascal@pascal.org>
Subject:   STB PowerGraph 64 Video (Trio64V+) and XF86...

Hello all;

I upgraded to a P100 PCI motherboard awhile back and with it a new
video card.  I'm now using a "STB PowerGraph 64 Video" video card
and I'm having no end to trouble when trying to configure it with
XF96 (everything else seems to run just fine on this new motherboard).

Has anyone else been able to get this card to work with XF86?

Here's the Device section I'm using:

  Section "Device"
    Identifier	"STB PowerGraph 64 Video"
    VendorName	"STB"
    Chipset	"s3_generic"
  EndSection

The above settings at lease cause the XF86_S3 server to see the
card and identify it as having a Trio64V+ chipset when I run with
"-probeonly".  But when I run the server the screen clears, the
drive light comes on, and my machine locks up solid.  After
rebooting I have filesystem damage proportional to how quick I was
at hitting the reset button.  If I wait too long I get corrupted
file systems that have extensive damage.

I've tried other settings for Chipset which I've found for other
Trio64 cards on the Web by running "strings" on the server binary.
Settings like "s3_trio64", "S3-Trio64", "S3-Trio64V+", "s3_trio64v+",
"trio64", and "trio64v" have come back as "Unidentified chipset...".

Some of my Web searches have shown folks being able to use the card
but under Linux.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'd love to get X running on this
system since it so screaming fast!

-Freeman

|  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that  |
|  whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting    |
|  life.                                                                 |
|					- John 3:16 (KJV)		 |
|                F r e e m a n   P.    P a s c a l   I V                 |
|  Phone Work:  (510) 645-3454       Email Work:  pascal@tfs.com         |
|        Home:  (510) 215-5742             Home:  pascal@pascal.org      |
|       Pager:  (800) SKY-PAGE        Home page:  http://www.pascal.org  |
|         PIN:        419-2250    Amateur Radio:  KE6LSS (General class) |