Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:58:46 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Derek Flowers <djflow@portwwwbus.tc.cc.va.us>, Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        software@kew.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Binary package updates, etc.

On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 12:08:40AM -0500, Derek Flowers wrote:
> >  o How do we authenticate the packages so we can be sure we're not
> >    installing the new FreeBSD kernel virus from Chaos?
> >
> > The JAR signing mechanism mentioned by Eivind sounds like a great
> > methodology, if package users are not required to install the JDK.  If
> > packages creators have to install the JDK in order to build the
> > signature, that should be acceptable.
>
> Not too familiar with the JAR signing mechanism, but we need to be careful
> of ITAR regulations.  I believe GNU is doing some work on a PGP work-alike
> that is available outside the U.S., it may be useful here.

The JAR manifests do not force a particular signing methodology.  The
standard mention PGP, x509 and DSS (aka DSA) as viable signing methods.

The standard determine how checksums etc should stored, to allow multiple
signing methods, multiple signatures on a single package, packages that are
partially signed, and packages that have different parts signed by different
parties.

It looks very nice, though there are some loose details in the spec.  E.g -
it talks about MD5ing entries in a text file, but it does not talk about how
to decide what is the start and end of an entry.