Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 14:26:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stephen Couchman <scouch@io.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Stephen Couchman wrote:

> I am trying to setup a PPP connection from my FreeBSD system to my ISP.  I am
> trying to use dynamic IP with either kernel PPP (pppd) or user ppp.

ok.  IMHO ijppp is the way to go -- much more feedback.

> I am not having much luck with either! :-((

Welcome aboard :-)

> When I try using pppd, my ISP and my system try to negotiate the connection,
> but my ISP eventually hangs up.  I am using PPP and Trumpet Winsock on my PC
> with my ISP with no problems.

Hm.  I haven't used kernel mode ppp much (i was luckily steered away in
the final moments to ijppp), but in ijppp this would indicate a chat
script problem, ie your script doesn't get you logged in enough to get
ppp up and either pppd or your ISP gives up.

> I have tried the suggestions in the Handbook, but I guess I need more
> hand-holding! :-((

That's what we're here for :-)

> Any help, suggestions, sample FreeBSD setup files (/etc/ppp/options, et
> al) would be MOST appreciated.

If you want I can put up my ijppp ppp.conf as an example.

The 'simplesite' definition is pretty close to what I am using, with just
modifications to the chat script and phone number.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant