Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:06:17 +0200 (SAST)
From:      theob@za.uu.net
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   The way forward.......

Hi List

This is a question that I'm sure has been posted many a time and one that
has lead to large debates/conversations, however since I'm new to the list
and FreeBSD security I need to open it up again.

Comming from a Cisco Pix background, being fairly new to security and being a huge fan and supporter of
FreeBSD I would want to pursue a firewall that is based solely on stateful
inspection, but here is my dilemma:

On reading through the following links:
http://www.freebsd-howto.com/HOWTO/Ipfw-HOWTO and
http://www.freebsd-howto.com/HOWTO/IPFilter-FreeBSD-HOWTO

It seems that both offer stateful inspection, in
http://www.freebsd-howto.com/HOWTO/Ipfw-HOWTO it says:
"Using these options to make
primitive stateful rulesets has been functionality that has been available
in ipfirewall(4) for a long time, however, because of its very limited
stateful capabilities, ipfirewall(4) has long been regarded as a stateless
firewall, with IPFilter the stateful alternative"

So then is it safe to assume that ipfilter is the best choice for
statefulness?

There is also mention that one would have a lot more functionality by using
ipfw and adding stateful arguments to the rule sets, is this true?

While ipfw may not be a true stateful firewall, one can still add in the
functionality and therefore be able to set up and very secure firewall, but
how secure would it be against a firewall based on the ipfilter way?

In a discusion I found on google, it was stated that ipfw is marginally
better for freebsd because it supports all the freebsd specific hacks, so
then does that mean ipfilter does not cope well with freebsd specific
hacks?

I have however successfully setup ipfilter as per
http://www.freebsd-howto.com/HOWTO/IPFilter-FreeBSD-HOWTO and it works
well.

Would it also be safe to assume that should one want to set up a firewall
whose sole purpose is to block everything comming in and allow everything
going out on a stateful level then ipfilter is the way to go, but if the
firewall was to protect different services behind it like a mail server and
a web server, would ipfw be the way to go?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, on an average what do most people use?
My feel is that ipfilter is the way to go, however since ipfw is FreeBSD
specific then running a firewall on FreeBSD one should aim at ipfw as
apposed to ipfilter......

Once again if this mail is opening up sore wounds or if people are tired of
getting involved in this debate again then I apologise but like I said I'm
a huge fan of FreeBSD and I really want to decide on which one to use so
that I can give my full attention to it rather than be halfed minded
between the two.

Thanks