Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:02:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why 'dd' does not seek over 'char' devs (specifically raw disk

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.4.10.9907131042310.76301-100000@janus.syracuse.net>,
> Brian F. Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> >
> > > couldn't we first try lseek and only do the reads on char devs where
> > > the lseek fails ?
> >
> > lseek() won't usually fail unless it's something like EBADF. It merely
> > sets the current fd's offset. It would be nice to be able to tell from
> > a device driver if it supports seeking (da) or not (sa). Hmm... actually,
> > if we just specify somehow that we support either direct or sequential
> > access... this would be possible.
>
> It would be a big improvement if dd could handle seeking on character
> disk devices.  I'm reasonably certain there exists some ioctl (perhaps
> related to reading disk labels) which could be used to figure out
> whether a character device was a disk or not.  A simple fix like that
> would make dd a lot more useful for the case Luigi brought up.

Okay, I implemented it, and it's in -CURRENT. I forgot about dsioctl()...
I was thinking in majors and minors, and that they'd have to be hardcoded
in... ;) This is better.

> John
> --
>   John Polstra                                               jdp@polstra.com
>   John D. Polstra & Co., Inc.                        Seattle, Washington USA
>   "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/