Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Behrens <mbehrens@globaldsl.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/13706: FreeBSD identifies all 80486 processors as DX chips

The following reply was made to PR i386/13706; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Matt Behrens <mbehrens@globaldsl.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, tedm@toybox.placo.com
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 14:10:43 -0400

 Didn't your dmesg come with two lines after the CPU: line, which look
 like this (from my DX2/40 laptop):

 CPU: i486 DX2 (486-class CPU)
   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x435  Stepping=5
   Features=0x3<FPU,VME>

 From my 3.2-RELEASE sources (specifically, src/sys/i386/i386):

 ---
 #if defined(I486_CPU) || defined(I586_CPU) || defined(I686_CPU)
         if(*cpu_vendor)
                 printf("  Origin = \"%s\"",cpu_vendor);
         if(cpu_id)
                 printf("  Id = 0x%x", cpu_id);

 	.
 	.
 	.

         /* Avoid ugly blank lines: only print newline when we have to.
 */
         if (*cpu_vendor || cpu_id)
                 printf("\n");

 #endif
 ---

 This section of code has been updated but still showed Origin, Id, and
 etc. back in 2.2.8.

 I would think that making sure you have

 cpu		"I486_CPU"

 in your kernel config would at least get the appropriate information to
 see why your SX chip isn't being detected correctly.