Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 05:07:08 -0400
From:      "Eric A. Griff" <eric@cfpower.com>
To:        "Nik Clayton" <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Bill Fumerola" <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, "Alex Zepeda" <garbanzo@hooked.net>, "Mike Hoskins" <mike@snafu.adept.org>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: advocacy site

> > You've pretty much described www.freebsdrocks.com.
>
> Almost.  What I see advocacy.freebsd.org being, however, is something
> just a bit more "official" in that it tries to archive things like
> advocacy guides, canned presentations, promotional imagery and other
> advocacy resources, one significant one being a "news" service.  It's
> the news pages and dynamic advocacy guide material which I figure will
> require the intervention of a database to make more easily manageable
> than CVS and shell accounts would be.
>
> - Jordan

    More dynamic.. For example, the lines on the front page (Red
Heading\nPlaintext) could easily be done in a script right from a database:
IE

    SELECT * FROM advHeadlines ORDER BY timStamp WHERE active;

Then <h3>$headline</H3>$content<br>

    Or even in a table.

    In C? They're not that hard to do.. MySQL is pretty Interfacable now.
The API is workable, and beats the crap out of Netapi32.dll from Win32 =)
Or the DAO/RDO stuff.. Well, they are kinda simple for base functionality,
though creating a class makes it easier, and very C++ like.

    Jordy, there any kind mass brainstorming lists laying around?

Eric