Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 20:48:36 -0500 ()
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        dwoodward@intraserve.com
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Spam from rival [and Quake question]

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997 dwoodward@intraserve.com wrote:

> perhaps he is smart enough to realize that the "rem" quote was a figure
> of written speech and he really does know how to remove something from
> his inetd.conf.  Really, a # sign you say? Truly amazing->'Thanks Boy
> Wonder'

Hey, it never hurts to be clear when one is writing. When one is talking
about technical subjects, it's best not to use figures of speech. Don't
you agree Batman? :-)

> And if he wasn't running fingerd with the -s? Does the -s option work?
> When did you last actually test it?  Not before before reading this
> reply!!!! If you had, judging by your "rem note" we would have all heard
> about it. Or do you actually believe there aren't any bugs in FreeBSD?

Yes, the -s option works. That was fixed over a year ago (including in
2.1.5).

>     If the line is null (i.e. just a <CRLF> is sent) then finger
>     returns a ``default report" report that lists all people logged
>     into the system at that moment.

Which is diabled with the -s option.

> Right!!!!! Call Australia from New York and ask for a dial-up shell
> account.

Call, email, whatever. Spam lists have a definite value.

> yes". Besides why would anyone ever question some one from New York
> wanting a dial-up account in Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Korea, etc.

Why not? I have a definite use for accounts at different points in the
network to test connectivity, etc. Of course, the proliferation of
traceroute gateways on Web pages is changing this.

> Plus giving out shell accounts isn't bad, since everyone is so honest
> what possible harm could it cause? Why I just can't wait to sign up
> more. That extra $10 a month is worth it

As I said, it's a business decision.

Now, lest you patient readers think this message is a total waste of your
time, I have a question. Is anyone hosting a Quake server using FreeBSD?
If so, how do you start it at boot? It seems to want to hang onto the tty.
Also, is it possible to buy the registered DOS version and somehow use it
so that players get all the levels?

pbd