Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 23:07:31 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Jeremy Shaffner <jeremy@external.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
Subject:   Re: Bad drivers? (fwd)

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 10:56:41PM -0600, Jeremy Shaffner wrote:

> Going from FreeBSD to Windows is great.  The 8MB transfer happened in less
> than 2 seconds - exactly what I expected.  Then I reversed the direction.
> The transfer rate from Windows to FreeBSD peaked at about 500kb/s, and took
> a little over 20 seconds.  This is not what I expected.  I then rebooted the

What transfer protocol or server application did he use for his
measurements? It sounds somewhat like Samba, because in its default
configuration Samba on FreeBSD is ugly slow and you wonder where all
of your well-known network performance is gone (increase socket buffers
with the socket options directive - I would have to look it up at work.)

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,