Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:24:48 +0200
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What do you do about DoS attacks?

Hi all,

I am interested in your experience with good ACL's and tools to analyze
and prevent DoS attacks, which pose a current problem for me.

One of my machines, which is running ircd, has been the subject of
frequent DoS attacks for the last few weeks. The box was unaffected
until today -- our upstream is getting annoyed by the packets and now
cuts off our line when under attack. So, that's an effective DoS we have
there. :)

There are no log entries of rate-limited ICMP packets. Our upstream's
router stats only show that there is about 8Mb/s of traffic coming in,
while the traffic on the outside drops (saturated pipe). They can't/do
not want to give us information on the traffic, but they can block
certain netblocks at the edge on our request.

Given that there's probably not much to do about these attacks, I'd
still like to:

1] see what types of packets cause the attack

   The colocated boxes on the subnet are hardly reachable when under
   attack, so I can't login to make an ad-hoc analysis of the traffic; I
   want to have a solid logging system in place before another attack
   occurs.

   I've replaced net.inet.*.blackhole by .log_in_vain to see if there is
   anything out of the usual during the attacks.

   I'd like to keep network dumps under heavy load. Logging all tcpdump
   output to a file all day would create gigantic file -- is there a
   tool which can do a (more or less intelligent) analysis of traffic
   and only log when a problem occurs? (For example, the queues get too
   large, or incoming traffic exceeds a certain limit)

2] (maybe) discover the origin of the attack

   The attacks all look the same, so I guess there is one person (or
   group) behind them. If the attackers are not too intelligent, the
   source addresses might not be spoofed.

Does anyone have any pointers for tools or config options that could
help me? [I have tried google and the archives, but did not find
anything really valuable this morning..]

thanks,
walter

--
 Walter Hop <walter@binity.com> | +31 6 24290808 | Finger for public key