Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:07:27 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Balgansuren Batsukh <balgaa@mongol.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: partition for GELI disk

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:14:19PM +0100, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
+> The problem is known (at least) to me. The last '*' will expand to the
+> complete remaining size of the disk, not taking the offset '16' for
+> partition 'a' into account. So either change the offset of 'a' to '0'
+> (why is there such an offset anyway?) or calculate it by hand.

It is very, _very_ important. Those 16 secotors is where bsdlabel(8)
store its metadata. If you put 0 there, be ready to lose your
partitions.

Swap skips first 16 sectors, so it won't touch it. UFS skips first 16
sectors, so you are safe here as well, but those are evil hacks.
If you configure something else on first partition which starts at
offset 0 (eg. encrypted partition) you are in big troubles.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7--