Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 1997 20:41:47 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        scrappy@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Postgresql 6.2

On Sat, Oct 04, 1997 at 01:07:52PM -0500, John Fieber wrote:
> Two problems with the the postgresql 6.2 port on FreeBSD 2.2.2
> (with a slightly newer kernel)
>
> 1) The rc.d script doesn't work...the -D argument is ignored.
>    Try changing the data location, it has no effect.  If I echo a
>    commend line to su, it works fine:
>
>    if [ -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster ]; then
> 	echo -n ' pgsql'
> 	echo '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -S -D/home/pgsql/data -o -F' | su pgsql
>    fi

Same effect here on -current. I had to add backslashes to the
startup script, did you try to use the latest update of the
rc script in the filesdir ?

> 2) When loading my dumped data, my system crashes reliably.
>    The only evidence I have at the moment is:

BTW, which pg_dumpall script did you use, the one from 6.1 or
6.2 ?

>    Oct  4 11:16:44 fallout /kernel: swap_pager: indefinite wait
>       buffer: device: 132105, blkno: 12568, size: 20480
>
> I'm sorry I personally don't have time to invesgigate this (I'm
> just going back t 6.1) but thought you might like to know.
> I can, however, make the offending data available (about 47MB
> uncompressed).

I'm not so deep in this postgresql business. Only did the port..
	- don't use it myself exessively
	- have no FreeBSD-2.2 system

Don't know how I should debug this here. Maybe you could please
assist me and make a problem report directed to the Postgresql
developement team ?

If this problem should be known with 2.2 and there is no fix
currently, then we had to backout 6.2 and restore 6.1.1.

But I don't believe this ... Cc'd to scrappy, maybe he is able
to help. He wrote me in a personal e-mail, that 6.2 is a real
improvement over 6.1, so maybe he knows more about this and
can help ...

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                    powered by ,,symmetric multiprocessor FreeBSD''
andreas@klemm.gtn.com            - http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html