Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 01:11:24 -0400
From:      "Stephen Comoletti" <rugose@www.delanet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   New install of FreeBSD 2.2.2 on Gateway PC

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a Gateway 2000 pc. My current
configuration is
Pentium II/266
64 megs ram
6.4gig quantum fireball IDE hd
Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master UDMA IDE controller
iomega zip drive
Mitsumi 12/24x CD
Ensonique sounscape
Telepath 56k x2

During my attempt to install I discovered that only my zip drive was
recognized as a valid storage device (as wdc1 on irq 14).

After some talk with a friend we tried various changes to the cmos,
altering the plug&play settings, disabling the motherboard IDE controller
which was driving the zip and the CD-ROM both, and manually configuring the
HD. None worked.

Devices connected to the motherboard IDE seemed to be detected fine. The
Intel controller was not seen at all. wdc0 came up not found in all
attempts.

Is there any way around this or am I unable to install freebsd at all on
this system without adding a supported scsi controller/drive or connecting
another IDE drive to the motherboard IDE?

Thanks,

Steve