Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:52:10 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        blsecres@eos.ncsu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB on a Mitac 5033

> I'm running 4.0-STABLE on an AMS Roadster 15CTA (i.e. a Mitac 5033) and
> trying to get USB going so I can use a borrowed Iomega Zip drive. However,
> when I try 'kldload usb' I get the follow error:
>
> 	uhci0: <Intel 82371/AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> irq 0 at device\
> 	1.2 on pci0
> 	uhci0: Invalid irq 0
> 	uhci0: Please switch on USB support and switch PNP-OS to 'No' in\
> 	BIOS
>
> I've also tried compiling in the uhci device with a known available irq to
> no avail. I would follow the recommendation of modifying the BIOS, but the
> CMOS setup provides little to no configurability. There aren't options for
> USB or PnP. Is anyone familiar with this hardware or problem?

Yes; unfortunately this means that your BIOS hasn't completed the PCI
enumeration/resource handout process correctly.  We don't at this time
actually support doing this ourselves - it's somewhat complicated.

If there truly isn't a BIOS option to enable USB and/or allocate an IRQ
for it (there usually is), then for the moment at least you are SOL.