Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:31:50 -0800
From:      "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP stability ? [was Re: more info from panic from running dnet on SMP kernel]

--On Sunday, November 17, 2002 11:36 AM +0100 Thierry Herbelot=20
<thierry@herbelot.com> wrote:

> Le Sunday 17 November 2002 10:50, Joel M. Baldwin a =E9crit :
>> running dnet on a SMP kernel causes the kernel to panic.
>>

> [Hijacking another thread ?]

No problem, lets compare notes.

> I haven't been able to complete a full buildworld with an SMP on a
> Abit BP6  (bi-celeron) board for two weeks (the kernel config is just
> a full GENERIC  with SMP and APICIO options enabled).

I also am running a BP6.  IS ANYONE successfully running an ABIT
BP6 motherboard on a SMP kernel with -current?

What BIOS version are running?  I'm one version behind I think,
so I'm going to upgrade and see if that makes any difference.

> The same machine runs happily strings of make -j48 buildworld's when
> running  with the straight GENERIC UP kernel, so I think the hardware
> seems to be  working OK.

I haven't tried anything that drastic, but I have had NO crashes
or lockups that I couldn't explain in a NON SMP kernel.  The SMP
kernel on the other hand will Hard Lock anywhere in anywhere from
seconds to days.  It seems to be more likely the harder I push it.
I don't think its the hardware.  I've pulled my hair out and tried
everything I can think of to eliminate the possability of it
being hardware.  I'm hoping that dnet causing a panic is somehow
related.

> Even make -j1 buildworld with the SMP kernel ends with a complete
> freeze of  the machine (the kernel does not go to a panic where I
> could try a backtrace)

Exactly!  Hard Lock, no panic, no keyboard, no choices other than =
reset.

> The hardware config of the machine is pretty dull (see dmesg later).
>
> One point that could be better is that the sources are NFS mounted
> from a  4.7-Stable server, over an rl(4) board, which may be unstable
> (/usr/obj is  local, on the Maxtor drive)

All my harddrives are local, 3 SCSI and 3 IDE.