Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:32:47 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@freebsd.org>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org, dfr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strtod cleanup (patch)

Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 09:42:41PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > > Most of this patch is mechanical merge, but I not sure
> > > on types usage correctness (long/int/int32_t) in this chunk:
> > >
> > > #if BYTE_ORDER == BIG_ENDIAN
> > > #define IEEE_BIG_ENDIAN
> > > #define Long   int32_t
> > > #define ULong  u_int32_t
> > > #else
> > > #define IEEE_LITTLE_ENDIAN
> > > #define Long   long
> > > #define ULong  unsigned long
> > > #endif
> >
> > This isn't quite right..  The #define Long int32_t etc should be used in
> > all cases, including i386.   The ia64 and alpha ports are little endian,
> > and work best with int32_t.
> >
> > Also, maybe use:
> > typedef int32_t   Long;
> > typedef u_int32_t ULong;
> > .. that way there is no chance of preprocessor side effects with the space
> > in ULong.
>
> Ok. Noted.
>
> Updated patch included. Can someone who has alpha/ia64 hardware test this
> patch ? It should not break anything, but want to be sure.

I've been using this on my Alpha.  So far it works fine.  I used the
standard strtod() for a while and discovered it broke my perl build.n (!).
If I apply your patches, the perl problem goes away.

I am currently having big problems with ia64, I think it is the same thing,
but I haven't got a chance to test it out yet.  Can you please commit this?
It works on Alpha, and I think it solves a nightmare I'm having on ia64.

Cheers,
-Peter