Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:30:24 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

Brett Glass writes:
> At 12:36 PM 9/4/2003, Diego Calleja =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Garc=EDa?= wrote:
>
> >So you might want to join them and solve the issues (well, you don't
> >like GPL so you won't;
>
> No, my livelihood would be threatened by having read GPLed code, so
> I won't. You don't swallow a poison pill on purpose unless you're
> either suicidal or ignorant of the fact that the pill is there.

I am a professional programmer, and I do my programming in an
environment that has plenty of GPL'ed code. I get to mess with
GPL'ed source, use binaries compiled from GPL'ed source and we
distribute some of this binary and source. We also distribute a
commercial, source+object product that has very little open source.
This product is compiled with GCC and its documentation is maintained
partialy with open source tools and partially with commercial
products.

What is the threat to MY livelihood? (You may assume that the company
that I work for is successful, that I earn a decent salary and that
my job is not under threat. You may also assume that the company
lawyers are paid to make damn sure that our cash flow is well
protected legally, and from this you may deduce that we are a large
and attractive target.)

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH