Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 02:04:59 +0900
From:      Ajith Pasqual <pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Subject:   Dual PII Motherboard - Best for FreeBSD ?

Hello,

  I'm about to order one of the dual pentium II motherboards and would
like to know the experiences of those who already use them. I've
followed the recent threads on Dual PII motherboards but the information
there wasn't sufficient to decide on one. (Tom's hardware page wasn't of
much help - No reviews of  dual pII boards yet. There was 1 review of
single PII MB's that contains 2 Dual PII MB's - Tyan and Supermicro)

I've 3 boards to choose from :

	1. ASUS P2L97-DS (Onboard SCSI - AHA 7880)
	2. Gigabyte GA-686 DLX ( Onboard SCSI, Adaptec 7880B )
	3. Tyan S1696DLUA Thunder 2 ATX (AIC 7895 - read the thread about this
too).

 Of the above 3, I've more or less decided to buy either ASUS or
Gigabyte and thought it would be better to ask.

This PC is not for a server. It will be used soley for Image Processing.
(Heavy floating point calculations included). I'm planning to buy 2,
333MHz CPU's. I've read (in BYTE???) that for some applications 333 is
about 10% faster than 300 purely due to its small size (0.25 micron
process). Do not know if this is worth the incremental cost!!

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can share their experiences with
the above boards. Will be running -current to make use of the 2 CPU's
and threads (that is a question for the future!!)

Another question regarding onboard  SCSI  - will this be the same as a
separate SCSI Adpater in terms of reliability and performance ?

Thanks a lot in advance. A quick reply would be very much appreciated.

Ajith.

PS: This is for Lab Work and we want the best possible configuration in
terms of performance, stability and reliabilty. (Too much to ask!!)