Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:20:19 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE startup slow

Hi all!

After I got ADSL for my FreeBSD box the startup of KDE takes
very long time. It "stops" at Initializing System Services,
then after a while the splash screen disappears, and after
some more waiting (about two minutes) the Desktop appears.

It almost looks like a DNS query timeout, but I'm not sure,
as I really do not know what Initializing System Services
actually do. Do anyone know?

Anyone who have had the same problem and solved it, or who
can help me out in some way?

Thank you in advance!

Below are info about the system and configuration files.

Best regards,
Paul

**********************************
FreeBSD version is 4.8-RC2.
X version is XFree86 4.3.
KDE version is 3.1.

rc.conf
-------
Firewall is set to allow everything...

# --- Internet
hostname="comp.primavera.homeip.net"

network_interfaces="lo0 fxp0"
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/ipfw.rules"

tcp_keepalive="YES"

dhclient.conf
-------------
interface "fxp0" {
        request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers;
}

resolv.conf
domain     primavera.homeip.net
nameserver 10.0.0.1
nameserver 10.0.0.2

More configuration files are available upon request! I just don't
know which other files could be of interest.