Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 14:59:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        ballhog <ballhog@firstnethou.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

FreeBSD doesn't do DOS programs.  There is some DOS emulation software out
there but I don't think it's up to running Diablo or Warcraft.  If you're
really curious about FreeBSD, you can set up your computer so you can run
either Win95 or FreeBSD depending how you feel when you boot it.

FreeBSD doesn't do DOS stuff better than DOS does.  It just does
everything else better.

We do have Netscape, and a Quickcam driver.

On Tue, 13 May 1997, ballhog wrote:

> Hello, i wsa told about your FreeBSD software by someone i met on the
> net.  I didn't exactly find the information i was looking for while
> reading your FAQ's and About FreeBSD, pages, and was wondering if you
> could help clear a few things up.
>
> I am currently running Win95, what i would like to know is, why would i
> want to change OS's? I know win95 has some quirks, but i also know it
> worked fine.
>
> I would also like to know, would FreeBSD be able to run normal dos based
> software, i am assuming it won't since it is UNIX based.  If it can't,
> then what exactly should i get FreeBSD for?
>
> This is my situation, i am ALLWAYS on the net, i'n sort of hooked.  I
> also play lot's of games via network card with my roomate, ie...
> Warcraft, Diablo' Domm etc.. etc..  I would like to remain able to
> connect to the internet and run Netscape etc... and play those games
> etc... and i just bought a Connectix Quickcam for use with CuSeeMe, so i
> would really like to continue enjoying these things.
>
> Can FreeBSD do any of this? and in your honest opinion, should i trash
> Win95 and go with FreeBSD?  I'm open-minded, i'll try anything if it
> will work with all the things i like to do.
>
> Thanx' for your help.
>
> Gene Faull

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."