Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 10:38:48 -0800
From:      Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>
To:        Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
Cc:        David Hawkins <dhawk@river.org>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to lock out a nonpaying user?

--Agd0e35j3NYeGe4z

On Sat, Jan 10, 1998 at 10:23:26AM -0500, Norman C Rice wrote:
> I use `vipw' to place an asterisk (*) in the first character of their
> password field.
>
> You could use vipw to change their login program to /usr/bin/false or
> /nonexistent.

All these complicated solutions when there's one already built into the
password file: the expiration date.  I set up user's accounts so they
expire at a certain time, and when they send more money, I adjust the
expiration accordingly.  That way the system automatically handles it,
and all I have to is the odd "oh please the check's in the mail and I
really need my email" extensions at the beginning of the month.  I keep
the paid-for expiration date in a separate file with scripts to munge
things in batches for payment processing.

--
Alan Batie                   ______      It's not my fault!  It's some guy
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      named "General Protection"!

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.

--Agd0e35j3NYeGe4z

--Agd0e35j3NYeGe4z--