Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:11:52 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Gautam <list@execve.net>, dinoex@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: graphics/png does not build with lang/gcc

> Adding dinoex (Maintainer of graphics/png).
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Gautam <list at execve.net> wrote:
>

> >> Still didnt work for me -- did another buildworld and retried to check if
> > there was something else messed up.
> >
> > I am moving back to base gcc for now. Waiting for redports lang/gcc
> > backend to come up ;) and will check this again on 8-stable as well.
> >

> I have tested this on three systems now -- 8.2-REL (fresh), 9.0-REL(fresh)
> and 9.0-STABLE (original system). The problem is visible on all of these
> releases. I have now root-caused this problem (that graphics/png does not
> build with lang/gcc on 8.2 or 9.0), proposed solution solves it on all
> three systems.
>
> Similar PRs were found: 155334 and 141238.
>
> Solution is to add -lssp_nonshared to LDADD in
> work/libpng-1.4.8/scripts/makefile.freebsd.
>
> LDADD+=         -lm -lz -lssp_nonshared
>
> However, I suppose this be conditional on OSVERSION >= 800000 so that it
> doesnt break older FreeBSD releases but I am not sure of the final solution
> to this -- maybe add a conditional patch ? How is that usually done?
>
> Should I file a PR for this?

There are some unresolved problems with stack protection, but you
should not have to encounter them when building this port.  The custom
gcc article that you are attempting to use was written at a time when
some of the related port Makefiles had some shortcomings that no
longer exist, and is not the recommended way to use lang/gcc* for
ports.  For all but a handful of ports that lang/gcc* depends upon, or
those that don't respect the toolchain-related variables, you can just
install lang/gcc or lang/gcc46 and set USE_GCC=4.6 in your build
environment, an included Makefile, or on the command line. I have been
building graphics/png in this way for years.  You can and should
dispense with the libmap.conf additions, the hardcoded CC, CXX, and
CPP in make.conf, etc.

b.