Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:09:54 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        Daniel Robbins <drobbins@funtoo.org>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)
References:  <CAGH67wRidMZrzjzTSdwud%2BZ5V--wOTN8CHXOWcOr%2BE5XHYo2rA@mail.gmail.com> <4FE0F773.1080403@gentoo.org> <CAGH67wQdb-c0Kf=60rkaJSH8Hd0OjwCi=rQQMzGq8xfp2q7b=Q@mail.gmail.com> <4FE100F9.2050009@funtoo.org> <20120620073920.GA5300@lonesome.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1206201618560.75278@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> <CAPDOV49kkOdeV%2B6LVW5j5PO6VYrrNVqWZEksc_GzvWHjbufoAQ@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1206201722520.1856@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> <CAPDOV4_ufNGyheDAhPxfndJ7WtH_u=5z7mrLtW-5-a9BMbCswg@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1206201745040.1949@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 05:51:10PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >So let me know if you have any ideas for anything that would be
> >considered more than just a slight improvement, that would make you go
> >"OK, now it's seriously worth considering OpenRC as this is more than
> >just a nominal improvement in functionality."
>
> actually i am happy with current system, but maybe others.
>
> My most important ideas are:
>
> - any new system should not be more complex

Just to point out what may seem to only be a symantic issue, but
can be significant.  There is a difference between being complex
and being complicated.

Complex refers to the ability to handle a good variety of needs in
a diverse environment.  Complexity can mean adding the ability to
work with current and know requirements as well as new - even yet to
be discover - needs and circumstances.

Complicated can mean making things require more steps or locations and/or
exceptions and levels of abstraction to do the tasks than would be
imposed in a well designed system.

A well designed process handles a very complex set of needs without
adding unnecessary complications.

So, if Mr Puchar, in his comment, changes complex for complicated, then
I think we can all agree with the wish that it does not add complication.
But, a sophisticated complexity might be needed to handle all of the
complications and diversity in the process.

////jerry