Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:00:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jin@george.lbl.gov
To:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG, pauls@ieng.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0 ATM - more logical interfaces?

> I would like to have more than 32 logical network interfaces associated
> with a single physical ATM device.  'atm set netif ...' appears to max at
> 32.  Let's say I wanted a thousand network interfaces - I guess I have two
> questions: (a) where are all the places that need to be changed, and (b)
> am I going to break anything?  The second question is the one that I'd
> really like to beg for an answer to.
>
> I am running 3.0-RELEASE on i386 with an ENI PCI OC3 card.
>
> [I realize the idea of hundreds of network interfaces may sound stupid -
> the purpose is "let's pretend a huge router to test absurdly large scaling
> of routing protocols".]

It sounds right, a physical ATM adapter can have hundreds of different
subnet (you called them hundreds of network interfaces). It is a correct
usage. We have an ATM driver developed for all BSDs, SunOS, and other O.Ss,
can have at least 256 network interfaces upto 1024 network interfaces,
but the ATM adapter manufactory was bought by the other company that uses
FORE ATM adapter, so they discontinued their line.
I was tried to hire some good people to continue working on it, and
porting it to use FORE and ENI ATM adapters, but have done anything yet.
I don't have a time frame for it, and not sure will be able to continue
in the future since I have tons of things in my hand including add OC12 FORE
driver code for HARP.

I do not have time to modify the HARP code for this purpose, so you need to
 work it on your own.
You may look at the HARP source code, code is fairly straight forward,
and see if you can increase the # of network interfaces.

	-Jin