Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:37:27 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: v4l + webcamd + Logitech C210 + Skype (FreeBSD 8-stable)

Quoting Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> (from Sun, 23 Jan 2011
21:40:38 +0100 (CET)):

> The Logitech C210 is a UVC webcam (USB video class), and
> webcamd includes a uvc driver, but it says that it is V4L2
> only.  On the other hand, the Linuxulator's video device
> translation layer does not support V4L2, as far as I know.

Correct.

> Is that the reason why Skype cannot see my webcam?  If so,

Probably yes.

> what's the recommended way to solve the problem?  All of

Implement v4l2 support in the linuxulator. Have a look at the
emulation archive, nox@ just implemented DVB support in the same way
the v4l(1) support was done: looking at the IOCTLs to determine which
depend upon IOW/IOR macros (the values are switched between FreeBSD
and linux), and to translate pointers (important for the linux32 on
amd64 part). Coding this is not hard, but the analysis is time
consuming. I'm sure he is willing to explain some things in case you
want to get started.

We have the permission to import the v4l2 header (I got the permission
from the authors). It's already in the vendor area, but as we do not
have code which uses it, it is not imported into head.

> the webcams currently available for purchase seem to be
> UVC ones, so I'm probably stuck with Windows.  :-(

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of
scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams.