Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:26:08 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>, "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device atpic to be deprecated?

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 03:51 am, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 02:05:27AM -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>>
>>>Is the plan still in effect to abolish this device?
>>
>>To my mind it wouldn't make much sense, given the sheer amount of hardware
>>out there which doesn't have an IOAPIC, then again I'm probably out of
>>touch with the state of interrupt handling in -CURRENT.
>

> All amd64 machines (which is where atpic would be removed) have an APIC.

That's kind of like saying that ISA will be removed because there is PCI
=-)  Having an APIC doesn't necessarily guarantee that it works.  There
have been enough reports of problems on the mailing lists over time that
I think it's a bit premature to declare the ATPIC dead.  Also, is the
ATPIC code in amd64 causing problems, holding back progress, or creating
a maintenance burden?

Scott