Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:05:59 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Laurence Berland" <stuyman@confusion.net>, "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Stallman stalls again

I think the premise of BSD is that it is the minimum that
the law requires to prevent the University of California
from being sued for providing faulty software. :-)

Your going out on a limb when you read much more than that
into the BSD license.  The GNU License, unlike the BSD
license, was written for a _political_ end.  The BSD license
was written for an _operations_ end, ie: purely because it's
necessary to have a disclaimer to protect yourself from fools
with foolish lawyers.

GNU comes from a Jihad/Philosophical/Religious viewpoint,
and it's primary purpose is to _have_an_effect_ on the thing
that the license's author applies it to.

BSD comes from a Minimalist/CYA/Practicality viewpoint, and it's
primary purpose is to _prevent_ the thing that it's applied to from
having an effect on the license's author.

The assumption both licenses make is that the thing that they are
being applied to, has the capability of taking on a life
of it's own. The GPL attempts to influence what that life
may be and use this influence to propagate it's viewpoint of
how the software market should operate.  By contrast, the BSD
license doesen't attempt to influence what that life may be, as
long as it isn't used against the creator.

Much is made of the idea that BSD is in opposition to GPL, but I
think this is false.  A truly opposite license to GPL is what you
would call a standard Commercial Software License.  Commercial licenses
block redistribution, and mandate that updates to the code to be kept
private