Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 10:36:41 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop Recomended for Freebsd

> Does anyone have any ideas on a laptop for freebsd?

Yes.

> What about an ether net interface as well?

I have ideas for those as well.

Oh, you want me to tell you what they are? :)

I *highly* recommend the NEC Versa/P, or any of the NEC's which have the
high-res 800x600 screen.  The extra pixels are a lifesaver, and after
using the NEC I'm having a hard-time using the ThinkPad. :(

Another plus of the NEC is it has a built-in SoundBlaster compatible
sound-card which is supported by FreeBSD.

They are a bit spendy, but are quite nice.

For a cheap laptop, I'd have to recommend the IBM ThinkPad 360C.  For
about $2K you can get a unit, and then for another $600 for a 16MB
module you'll have a very nice box with an active matrix display.
However, FreeBSD doesn't work out of the box with the ThinkPad's, and
requires a bit of hackery to install it but it's well worth it.

The ThinkPads are built much more rugged than the NEC, but are a bit
more non-standard.

For ethernet cards the 3COM 3C589B is the easiest card to get working,
and it works quite well.  I don't have any experience with any other
card, so others can chime in.

Nate