Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:18:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        perhaps@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 971208 and the nfs rollback didn't fix it...

> Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com> writes:
>
> > I can reproduce this every time...
> >
> > Does anyone really feel the need to investigate this? I realize userland
> > programs should never crash the kernel, but... is this a big enough deal for
> > someone to want to investigate?
>
> Yes.  Userland programs should NEVER be able to crash the kernel,
> especially not running as users (instead of root).
>
> Now - more details :-)  Do you get a kernel panic when it crash?

90% of the time, it's just a reboot., No crash, just jumps straight to the
memory test. The other 10% it give a 'fault on nofault entry' panic.

> Have you traced .cshrc files and tried changing /etc/login.conf for
> the user that gave you the strange effects?
>
> Eivind.

His .cshrc is essentially empty.

#	$Id: dot.cshrc,v 1.5 1996/09/21 21:35:35 wosch Exp $
#
# .cshrc - csh resource script, read at beginning
#	   of execution by each shell
#
# see also csh(1), environ(7).
#

alias h		history 25
alias j		jobs -l
alias la	ls -a
alias lf	ls -FA
alias ll	ls -lA

setenv	EDITOR	vi
setenv	PAGER	more
setenv	BLOCKSIZE	K

if ($?prompt) then
	# An interactive shell -- set some stuff up
	set filec
	set history = 100
	set savehist = 100
	set mail = (/var/mail/$USER)
endif

Our /etc/login.conf is untouched from our install.

I have the entire eggdrop directory .tar'ed if someone wants to play with
it.

Kevin