Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 12:52:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dave Cash <dcash@gnofn.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation Problem

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Dave Cash wrote:

[skipped]
> finally work.  However, the boot manager does not seem to work.  The only
> noticeable change to the system after BSD has been installed is that the
> C: partition on GRAMPS has been made inactive and my only choice is to
> boot from flopopy and use fdisk to set that partition to be active, since
> my computer will not boot from a fixed disk without an active partition.

That's a common occurance, happened to me.  You had the right fix.

> And in my BIOS, my only boot options are "A:, C:" or "C:, A:".  And when
> I set the C: partition to be the active partition, my computer just boots
> right into Windows 95 and doesn't seem to be aware that the might FreeBSD
> is even in its midst...

Did you install the Boot Manager?

Windows 95 may be interfereing, a friend of mine yesterday reminded me
that win95 has some anti-bootvirus protection, and installing a boot
manager may not make it happy.

> Any ideas?  The only thing I have not tried is to repartition GRAMPS so
> that C: becomes about 382 MB and I make a 100 MB partition for the core
> stuff of FreeBSD (could I get away with a smaller space?) on GRAMPS so
> that both are able to boot from GRAMPS.  Then I could devote the large
> partition on PEANUT to the rest of FreeBSD...so should I go to the
> trouble to repartition GRAMPS or is this not the answer?  Any help would
> be appreciated.

That would work, but win95 will still complain about a boot sector
problem. (maybe, haven't tried it)

You can boot freebsd from the floppy, ie typing at Boot:

wd(1,a)/kernel

A friend and I did that for a while.  He's still doing it because of the
possible win95 trouble, and I installed OS/2's Boot Manager and it works
great.

Hope this helps.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant