Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 07:19:07 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, julian@whistle.com, bde@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bruce vandalism again

> John-Mark Gurney said:
> > > I agree.  This appears to be a seriously retrograde step.  Bruce, why?
> >
> > easy, don't you guys read style(9)?
> >      Use of the __P macro in new code is discouraged, although modifications
> >      to existing files should be consistent with that file's conventions.
> >
> > all the other parts of the code in that file are K&R style... so you
> > need to maintain that convention...
> >
> If style(9) is broken, which apparently it is, then it should be fixed.
> It isn't a religious document, but one that should change with the times.

I disagree.  I'm with Bruce here in that you shouldn't 'bit by bit'
change code to use new ANSI prototypes *UNLESS* you change all of the
code to use ANSI prototypes.  So, either convert them all to the new
style (my preference), or leave them all the old style, but having a
mix/match of both is silly.

And, if you want to change it all to the new style, make the 'style'
changes commits separate from the functional changes commits so one can
see the functionality changes easy w/out having to dig through the style
changes.

Nate