Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:37:27 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: comments on this change please.

J Wunsch wrote:

> As Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> > I have added some code to syslogd to help compatibilty
> > by having it TRY make a symlink for /dev/log to /var/run/syslog.socket
>
> /var/run/log.  POLA.
there's already a /var/run/syslog.pid
this matches that.. but I'm happy with just 'log' if that's what people
want..

 (There's precedent with /var/run/printer, and
> we should convince the XFree86 folks of /var/run/X11, too.)

that would just be a porting issue..

> > for those people who want BSDI  (or linux?) or older freeBSD
> > binaries to work. In teh case of a read-only root fs, One would hope
> > that whoever set it up would have made the symlink first.
>
> Do also modify the remaining Makefiles etc. to make sure the symlink
> will be in place on any new system.
yeah I guess so, though once syslogd has been run r/w it's there.. :)

> Do symlink handling in devfs first.

devfs already DOES handle symlinks and has fro several months

> > + #if defined _OLD_PATH_LOG
> > + int         alt_fifo;
> > + const char  *OldLogName = _OLD_PATH_LOG;
> > + #endif
>
> I'm against bloating it with the `OLD_' cruft.  Either change
> completely, or keep it as it is.

I want to make sure there are as few surprises as possible..