Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:36:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthias Apitz <matthias.apitz@oclc.org>
Subject:   Re: moving FreeBSD installation disk1 to an USB stick

Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
 > I'm preparing the installation of FreeBSD 7.0 on an Asus eeePC which has
 > no CD/DVD drive for the installation (and I have no external CD driver
 > with USB):
 > http://www.laptoppen.nl/product-260-Asus-EEE-PC-900-Zwart.html
 >
 > My idea is to 'copy' somehow the FreeBSD 7.0 installation disk1 to an
 > USB stick of 1 GByte; there is some kind of recipe how to put a boot-able
 > system onto such an USB stick, like;
 > http://groups.google.com/group/lucky.freebsd.questions/msg/5c759b1c87376b22
 > but this is not what I want; I want to boot the stick (of course) and
 > run the 'sysinstall' having the complete disk1 on the stick;
 >
 > maybe it is an option making only the file system on the stick and the
 > boot sector and fill in a dump of the file system of disk1,

Yes, that should work.  Just prepare the USB stick so it is
bootable (fdisk(1), bsdlabel(8)), put a UFS file system on
it (newfs(8)), then extract the contents of the "disk1" ISO
image onto the file system.  You can use tar for that:
# cd /mnt ; tar xf /tmp/disk1.iso

 > with some minor changes that after booting it uses the USB as CD device?

No, I don't think that's possible.  And it's not necessary.
sysinstall can install from a normal UFS partition.

Best regards
   Oliver

"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs
would delete themselves upon execution."
        -- Robert Sewell