Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:28:02 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 07:54:59PM -0400, Matt Heckaman wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Igor Roshchin wrote:
> : Now, my suggestion: may be it would be reasonable to leave such
> : potentially insecure ports in the FreeBSD port collection, while
> : adding an additional warning in the install script about this
> : potential danger of these ports/packages...
>
> I have to agree with you here, as the owner and operator of a shell
> company; there would be outright hell to pay and complaints from a good
> 200 people if I removed the only MUA that is simple enough and familiar
> enough for them to use. For me, it comes down to acceptable risk. Besides,
> pine is never ran by the root account (nor is -any- mail programs :P) so
> it's impact is somewhat limited in my situation.

Actually, if you happen to be running qmail (and I might be very far off
here, but it seems to me that mail.lucida.qc.ca is indeed running qmail),
then mutt is a way better choice for a MUA - written specifically for
Maildir, quite a bit more scriptable, much easier to configure.  Well, yes,
it's missing the menu interface, but (at least for me) the time to adjust
to the new UI and key combinations was on the order a day or two.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.