Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 15:50:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Joachim.Isaksson@ibfs.com (Joachim Isaksson)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changes to console code?

It seems Joachim Isaksson wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I was running current 4.0 990318 (as far as I can remember, can look that up
> once I get home from work), and yesterday I decided to do an upgrade to 990504
> via a clean install from boot floppy.
>
>  My console now decides to go blank when the probe for sc0 is attempted. As far
> as I can see it never gets any further in the boot sequence. Luckily I got the
> problem at floppy boot, not after killing my old system off :)

Hmm, I've seen this a couble of times, but a reboot have succeded every time.
The machine is locked solid when this happens, so I've kindof written it
off as flaky HW, that might have been premature. I thought it was hanging
in the VESA/VM86 code, but I dont think that is enabled on the boot floppy...

Hmm...

-Søren