Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 2020 07:30:37 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: private freebsd-update server - possible with -current?

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 12:22 AM tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not altogether sure which list this question should go to, so please
> accept my apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask and
> direct me
> elsewhere.
>
> What I'd like to do is to run a freebsd-update server for some low-power
> boards that are tier2 or tier3 arches *and* for various attached hardware
> reasons need to run -current (nodebug). I'd like to have the
> freebsd-update functionality missing from -current as it stands, so that a
> full rebuild of the image isn't needed.
>
> I read with interest
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/freebsd-update-server
> the article is old but the start of it says it was last updated recently
> (2020-06-28), so still valid? so I'd like to ask the experts here:
>
> 1. would this be expected to work with -current? Looking through the page
> it
> there's lots of use of patches that pertain to following releng. My use
> case
> doesn't require that. [1]
>
> 2. will the server build/run under other arches? I'm interested in arm64
> for
> this. [1]
>
> 3. can it be made to cross-compile with native-xtools? [1]
>
> ultimately what i'd like to have is a freebsd-update server on rpi4/arm64
> building for arm[6,7] arm64 and mips64. On the low power board, run
> freebsd-update as usual, apply updates, reboot.
>
> [1] right now I'm only asking if it's possible or if my idea is flawed, or
> if
> theres a better idea.
>
> thanks,
> --
> J.

I don't see why it shouldn't.  I'm currently a private freebsd-update
server on 12-STABLE.  The catch is that  freebsd-update refuses to run on
anything it thinks isn't an official release.  So I have to make my own
releases.  To distinguish them from official ones, I name them something
like "12.1-MYNAME1", and then I have to modify the freebsd-update script to
thing that "MYNAME1" indicates an official release.
-Alan