Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 18:53:59 -0400
From:      mhpower@mit.edu
To:        bradley@dunn.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Telnetd problem?

>From src/libexec/telnetd/sys_term.c:
>sprintf(speed, "%s/%d", (cp = getenv("TERM")) ? cp : "",
>This code is identical to the problematic kerberos code ...

The code is also inside "#if defined(LOGIN_R)" "#endif", as it is in
many other variants of this telnetd. I haven't personally seen any
environments in which LOGIN_R is defined at build time, and I suspect
it's not normally defined on FreeBSD systems. There may be some systems
where LOGIN_R is defined, but I think typically the code is not
actually problematic as a consequence of it not actually being compiled.

Matt Power
mhpower@mit.edu