Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:13:29 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why is not more FreeBSD software written in C++?

--nextPart1996097.RarQuQCSnt

Something occurred to me just now. I've been looking at the summer of code=
=20
page, where I noticed the "Rewrite cvsup in C" entry. When Perl was removed=
=20
from the FreeBSD base, the general notion was to rewrite any Perl scripts i=
n=20
sh or C.

Why is it that C++ is not used for our programs? The C++ compiler is in the=
=20
base and built by default, and the OOP paradigm is a nice one, that many=20
programmers, especially the younger ones (like me :) ) are probably more=20
familiar with than the tricks and techniques used in C to achieve good=20
efficiency.

My first guess is that it's a habit. People dealing with the FreeBSD source=
=20
code are used to C, and therefore use that for their apps. If it's only tha=
t,=20
there'd be no good reason for not writing a tool like cvsup in C++, right? =
Or=20
is there a more technical reason?

Cheers
Benjamin