Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:12:37 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Austin Wilson <bymyhand@northlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Less space with UFS

--i7F3eY7HS/tUJxUd

On 2004.08.08 12:59:33 -0700, Austin Wilson wrote:

[...]
> But
> once I have reformatted one of my FAT32 partitions to UFS I seem to not h=
ave
> the same amount of space as I had with my FAT32 partition. I look the df =
-h
> out put and it shows that I have a 63 gig hard dive, but only total 57 gi=
gs
> free and used space useable. I am wondering where the 6 gigs that I had w=
ent
> to?

To quote the FAQ [1] :

	A portion of each UFS partition (8%, by default) is reserved for use
	by the operating system and the root user. df(1) does not count that
	space when calculating the Capacity column, so it can exceed
	100%. Also, you'll notice that the Blocks column is always greater
	than the sum of the Used and Avail columns, usually by a
	factor of 8%.

	For more details, look up the -m option in tunefs(8)

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#DISK-MO=
RE-THAN-FULL

BTW. questions like this is best suited for the freebsd-questions@
mailing list.